Rajasthan in the first week of July 2016 became the first state in the country to introduce minimum wages for part time workers.
• The Labour Department of Rajasthan has also issued a notification in this regard.
• As per the notification, it becomes mandatory to pay 50% of the prescribed a day minimum wage to a person who works for less than four hours in a day.
• With the notification, part time workers now come under the Minimum Wages Act 1948.
• The Minimum Wages Act 1948 is an Act of Parliament concerning Indian labour law that sets the minimum wages that must be paid to skilled and unskilled labours.
•During November 1948, the Central Advisory Council in its first session appointed a Tripartite Committee of Fair Wage.
•This committee came up with the concept of Minimum Wages.
• Indian Government introduced the Minimum Wages Act in 1948, giving both the Union Government and State Governments jurisdiction in fixing wages.
•The act is legally non-binding, but statutory.