On 3 June 2016 P Sreeramakrishnan was elected as the Speaker of the 14th legislative assembly of Kerala.
• He was the candidate of ruling Left Democratic Front (LDF) and a two-time legislator from Ponnani constituency.
• In the voting held, he secured 92 votes against UDF's V.P. Sajeendran from Kunnathunadu constituency, who got 46 votes in the 140-member legislative assembly.
• The only MLA of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) O Rajagopal voted in favour of P Sreeramakrishnan whereas the Independent MLA PC George's vote was marked invalid.
• Earlier on 25 May 2016, veteran CPI-M leader Pinarayi Vijayan was sworn-in as 12th Chief Minister of Kerala.
• In the Assembly Election held in May 2016, the CPI (M)-led left Democratic Front (LDF) came back to power in Kerala after 5 years, winning 91 seats in the 140 member Assembly, while UDF won 47 seats. The other two seats were won by BJP and Independent candidate each.